Monday, June 21, 2010

The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of

Yesterday was Father's Day and I planned a surprise for Matt a few months ago. If you know me at all you know that I am not a secret keeper. I once told Matt that when we have our next child maybe we'll keep their name to ourselves until they are born. He laughed so hard that he almost had to pull the car over. Somehow he didn't believe I could keep the secret that long.

But I was good, and kept this secret, and it was hard. I begged him all week to let me tell him. But I think he secretly enjoys the torture of me going crazy with a head full of surprises.

I woke up at 6:30 and tossed and turned until 7:30 when I heard Matthew in his room calling for us. I went in and got him ready to go give Matt his gift.

All ready to go!
Photobucket

Here you go dada!
Photobucket

Dada's surprise is we're going to an Ironpigs baseball game!
Photobucket

I had a small emotional moment walking into the stadium. Taking my child to a baseball game was one of the dreams lost when the twins passed away. So walking in with Matthew was a dream come true. Especially on Father's Day.

Matthew loved being there. He was so excited to see the player's throwing balls and kept going "ball!" everytime he would see one get thrown.
Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a good time! And afterwards we went for dinner at Red Robin where Matthew was a very good boy.

I've loved Matt for a long time, pretty much from the minute we met. And there are times when I fall in love all over again and still get those butterflies in my stomach. Watching him be Matthew's daddy is one of those times. I know moments like yesterday when he was taking his son to a ball game are big pride inducing moments. But every father/son moment Matt has with Matthew will always be tinged with the loss we've endured so it becomes that much more special. I'm very vocal in my feeling about our loss, and it seems more natural to comfort the mother of lost children and easier to forget the daddys who have lost their babies. But I don't forget, and never will. And Matt is the best daddy he could be...to all three of his children.

Photobucket

No comments: